My Other Websites:
Sociology Prose: my academic papers and other bits and pieces.
Sociology at Work: focuses on applied sociology – the use of sociological knowledge beyond university settings, such as in government, the not-for-profit sector and business. We aim to enhance awareness of applied sociology and to support the careers of sociology graduates. I run the S@W site and I write the blog.
- Working Notes: a free, peer-reviewed online publication by S@W. Features profiles and articles by sociology practitioners. I am the Editor of Working Notes
- Zee Zee’s Corner: general sociology posts, Australian sociology, visual sociology, as well as my personal interests, mostly political news, art, music, film and book-worm stuff
My Social Media Pages
- Twitter: I tweet about sociology, politics, news and social media
- Facebook: This blog but in Facebook form. Très exciting! No?
- Google+: Science and research news
- Join the Sociology at Work network on Twitter and Facebook.
Other Sociology Sites I find useful
- The Australian Sociological Association: I am a member of TASA and I set up its Applied Sociology Thematic Group
- The International Sociological Association: I am a member of the ISA
- Global Dialogue: online news magazine of the ISA, published 5 times a year and in 11 languages. And it’s free! Free I tell you!
- Sociological Images: critique of images, advertisements, clips and films
- Racialicious: race representations in pop culture
- Economic Sociology Australia: website of TASA’s sociology of economic life thematic group
- Raewyn Connell: Preeminent Australian sociologist on gender, masculinity and class. Four of her books were voted into the Top Ten Most Influential Books in Australian Sociology by TASA members
- Everyday Sociology Blog: sociologists discussing pop culture and everyday stuff
- The Global Sociology Blog: political and human rights issues plus social theory by SocProf
Sociologically-themed sites that spark my sociological imagination
- Jezebel: feminist look at news and celebrity culture
- Ted: not-for-profit site hosting public talks on challenging social issues and innovative ideas
- Threadbared: cultural, political and historical analysis of fashion and ‘beauty’
Social Media & Technology Sites I find interesting
- Mashable: informative and fun social media news blog. Beware, compulsive consumption might eat up several hours of your attention
- Bluffer Blog: tips on how to improve Twitter life, plus Leo Widrich nurtures a lovely, good-natured community to boot
- Guy Kawasaki: highly amusing tech and science news via his superfantastic Twitter feed and blogs. Understands the social importance of zombies.
- Problogger: Darren Rowse’s Twitter account where he ‘blogs about Twitter… and tweets about blogging’. Fun.
- Tweet Smarter: news, tools and tips about the Twitterverse