This US AID infographic demonstrates the importance of improving women’s education, economic contribution, political power and health in developing countries through international assistance programs.
A woman multiplies the impact of an investment made in her future by extending benefits to the world around her, creating a better life for her family and building a strong community.
- 99% of maternal deaths each year occur in the developing world.
- Adequate health care, a skilled birth attendant and emergency care help prevent maternal deaths.
- 1 in 5 girls in developing countries who enrol in primary school never finish.
- Girls who stay in school for seven or more years, marry four years later and have two fewer children.
- Women make up nearly % 52% of the global total of people living with HIV…
- Current approaches to preventing mother-to-child HIV transmission are 98% effective.
- 43% of the agriculture labour force. However, women are less likely to own land, and own fewer amounts of land when they do.
- When women have the same amount of land as men, there is over a 10% increase in crop yields.
- Women comprise only 18.9% of the world’s legislators.
- Countries where women’s share of seats in political bodies is greater than 30% are more inclusive, egalitarian, and democratic.
Via: US Aid.